In this section, we'll help you:
- Understand types of prizing
- Understand how to find prizing and its place within a successful campaign.
The Role of Prizing in a Giveaway Campaign
Every giveaway campaign needs something offered as a prize in return for the submitted emails. Prizes typically fall into two broad categories:
Product Prizing: Product Prizing is most often contributed by the brands participating in a giveaway. Often, each brand will contribute their product.
One benefit of using product prizing is that most potential partners can somehow contribute to product prizing (a magazine can give a subscription, an e-commerce business can give product, a service company can give some amount of free services, etc.), it tends to be low in overhead, and the campaign can advertising for your products.
Travel Prizing: The other major form of prizing is travel, which generally takes the form of a destination trip with hotel, a airfare and occasionally some meals included. The host or another partner typically enlists a special prizing partner to provide the majority of the trip. While Travel Prizing can be more challenging to arrange, it generally performs better than product based prizing.
Usually, these are hotels and resorts who use their prizing contribution as a means for their inclusion in a giveaway campaign. In some cases, Prizing Partners do not wish to promote the campaign, in which case they often do not receive the entries. If they do promote, they will receive the entries. This is negotiated on a case by case basis between the Host and a Prizing Partner.
Prizing Do’s and Don’ts:
- Do use an image that helps illustrate your prize. Landing pages for vacation should highlight the destination; product giveaways may want to highlight a product. DojoMojo has a variety of templates optimized for each.
- Don’t break the law. Law varies from state to state, but prizes valued over $5,000 must be bonded.
- Do update your Official Rules. You are required by law to list the prizes you offer, their approximate retail value and any conditions on use of the prize (i.e. travel must occur within set dates).
- Do plan for how the prize will get to the winner. Generally, the campaign host will be responsible for coordinating this.
- Don’t give away things just because they are expensive. Keeping your giveaway creative and themed (even with smaller dollar value for prizes) will lead to a better entry rate than giving away an iPad.
Using Prizing Search
Finding prizing can be a challenge. Luckily, DojoMojo has a team of people who can help! Just submit a request in the Resources dropdown menu under “Prizing” and we’ll make it happen.